Re: Re: homemade hydrophone

Subject: Re: Re: homemade hydrophone
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:17:47 -0500
Mark:

Thanks for the info. I've ordered the AFAB hydrophone. It's being
drop-shipped to a researcher in Washington who is going out to record
Northern Red-legged Frogs this weekend. I just found out that they do most
of their calling underwater, so that's why we're in a rush for this.

I tried the condom technique with my MKH20, but noted poor high frequency
response, which is what I'd expect. I suspect that the AFAB will do much
better in terms of frequency response.

We'll see what happens. He's recording on to a DAT.

Lang

>> Do you think the AFAB will produce better sound than a Sennheiser MKH
>> 20/condom combo? I imagine that using a condom will drastically change the
>> frequency response, causing significant rolloff at higher frequencies. Is
>> this true?
>>

> The AFAB has an 1/8" mini trs headphone jack that puts out a bone crushing
> level.
>
> I couldn't hazard a quess as to the MKH20/condom sound quality - but condoms
> are cheap. Give a try in the bathtub.
>
> I found the condom results pretty poor, myself. But that was using a dynamic
> mic.
>
> Maybe if I had used a ribbed condom for greater sensitivity ...

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:18 2005
Message: 19