Re: Re: Mac programmer

Subject: Re: Re: Mac programmer
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 16:13:13 -0500
To All:

It looks as if Tom Erbe of Soundhack fame will be adding a crosstalk
cancellation mode to Soundhack next spring or summer, which is good to hear
for us Mac users. I'll keep everyone posted. And similar solutions will no
doubt pop up in the PC world as the months reoll by.

I now firmly believe that a fairly simple binaural recording technique
(patterned after the Crown SASS) that utlizes the omini mikes of our choice,
will provide us with a wonderful way to gather and enjoy natural
soundscapes, both through headphone listening and, most significantly, using
two-speaker playback, even at our computer terminals.

The 3D effect using two closely-spaced spekers is absolutely splendid when
an appropriate binaural recording is played back using sate-of-the-art
crosstalk cancellation. The natural psychoacoustical cues that are preverved
in the binaural recording are then correctly fed to each ear. As a result,
one perceives a 180 degree, extremely spacious soundscape that leaves
conventional stereo (and various forms of enhanced stereo) absolutely in the
dust. It extends magically beyond the bounds of the room, with sounds coming
from locations that appear to have nothing to do with the speakers
themselves. And it requires nothing more than two conventional broad-range
speakers.

Imagine many of us collecting and easily sharing 3D nature experiences over
the internet, using simple and affordable setups. Well, this is on the
horizon and it's better than any 5.1 surround solutions I've seen or heard.
Sure, it is limited to a 180 degree soundstage and the sweet spot is not
huge (it ain't small either), but within that restriction it is amazingly
REAL, with depth, imaging, location, and clarity that will satisfy even the
diehard audiophiles among us.

Stay tuned.

Lang