Re: Re: Mac programmer

Subject: Re: Re: Mac programmer
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:57:34 -0500
Walt:

The Soundhack binaural converter is designed to "binauralize" monaural
signals. This is not at all what I am talking about, although it's related.

What I'm talking about is taking binaural field recordings and processing
them for optimal speaker playback, which creates a result quite a bit more
satisfying than either conventional stereo or headphone listening.

The processing reduces or eliminates "crosstalk" in the speaker system,
which is the bane of nearly all speaker listening setups. In other words,
what we desire is that the right ear hear only what comes out of the right
speaker, and that the left ear hear only what comes out of the left
speakers. What we "don't want" is for the left ear to hear the right
speaker, and vice versa, for the right ear to hear the left speaker.

Through some fancy DSP processing, such "speaker crosstalk" can be greatly
reduced or eliminated. When it is eliminated, the human brain uses the
natural interaural information in the binaural recording, namely the time
delays, intensity differences, and phase differences between the two ears,
to "re-construct" a fully natural soundscape that is far more convincing
than a typical stereo soundscape. In other words, this technique fully
utilizes those aspects of human psychoacoustics that allow us to determine
the positions of sounds in space.

Properly done, the resulting illusion of space is phenomenal.

Suffice to say that when the original 2-channel field recording is done
correctly, this system for playback truly allows the listener to be immerse=
in a realistic and extremely satisfying dimensional soundscape experience.
This affords the recordists a great way to take pleasure in what has been
gathered . . . a way to re-experience the beauty in a compelling manner.

The only problem is that there is no easy way right now to process a
binaural soundfile for correct playback, even though the appropriate
crosstalk-cancelling algorithm is available free for the taking.

Hence my need for an interested programmer.

Lang

> Lang Elliott wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone in this group proficient at Mac-based programming?
>>
>> What I have in mind is a simple application (ultimately for both Mac and=
 PC)
>> that will peform a "virtual 3D" algorithm on a stereo wave, aiff, or sdI=
>> soundfile, using a simple drag and drop implementation.
>>
>> I have the algorithm and it allows for an absolutely stunning and
>> super-realistic 180 degree soundstage upon playback of a processed
>> soundfile, using only two speakers placed close together in front of the
>> listener.
>>
>> For those interested in dimensional soundscape recording, I believe this=
 is
>> our very best solution. It only requires two channel recording and playb=
ack,
>> and it works amazingly well with my binaural SASS microphone system.
>>
>> However, I need help in order to bring this technology to our group and =
>> other interested in truly satisfying immersive recording and playback
>> techniques.
>>
>> If any of you are proficient Mac programmers with an interest in this ki=
nd
>> of thing, please contact me ASAP for details.
>
> Have you looked at the binaural converter in Soundhack? Is it the same
> sort of thing?
>
> The binaural converter in soundhack takes a mono sound and places it
> where you want in the soundfield, both horizontally and vertically. I've
> only poked at it a couple times, the algorithm it uses was developed by
> some group at NASA. The idea is that you do this to several sounds and
> mix them to build a pseudo binaural recording. It's definitely not going
> to be a one click thing with it.
>
> My son is in the process of becoming a programmer, including mac, looked
> at what you want and said it was more complex than he'd be interested in.
>
> Walt

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:20 2005
Message: 9