canberrabirds

Mt Majura Woodland Survey Report - Mar 2024

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Mt Majura Woodland Survey Report - Mar 2024
From: walter.goldie--- via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:36:31 +0000

The Mt Majura Woodland Survey was conducted over 2 days. Bird activity was generally quiet with 2 to 11 species per site for a total of 23 species. Three other species were heard outside of the survey areas. We usually see 1-2 Common Bronzewings somewhere in sites 1-5.  However today, sites 3 and 4 each had over a half dozen birds deciding to move as I approached the survey area – in total I must have seen nearly 20 Common Bronzewings this morning – quite an unusual number and I am confident they were different birds as they flushed in different directions. Gang gangs are reasonably common on Mt Majura, mostly seen in the afternoon as they move from the suburbs to the mountain to roost. However, we do not often record them in the Woodland Surveys (probably because we are not surveying at dawn or late afternoon). Today, site 3 had a flock of 6 Gang gangs heading to the suburbs and site 4 also had a flock of 6 plus another pair sometime later, so it was good to get some records of this species in the Woodland Survey.  The highlight was stumbling on a mixed flock at site 5.  After zero small birds at all other sites, apart from the occasional Pardalote, site 5 produced only small birds – 11 species in all.  It was such a joy to stand still and watch them all move through. Two Scarlet Robins were calling – something we record maybe only once per year and 4 Brown Quail flushed and conveniently landed only 4-5 m further away enabling me to get binoculars onto them – some years we hear them in the Mt Majura area, but this is the first time I recall seeing them on a survey.

John Goldie and Kathy Walter.