canberrabirds

Birding philosophy

To: ben milbourne <>, "" <>
Subject: Birding philosophy
From: Mark Clayton via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:38:40 +0000

Several years ago I had to, at the last moment as the person initially involved had to pull out, fill in the application for the permit to run the bird banding trip to Iron Range on Cape York Peninsula. The form was, to put it politely, a bloody nightmare. After going through all the documentation I discovered that it was actually illegal to birdwatch in Queensland and you could be prosecuted for “harassing wildlife”. An example of “harassing “ was if you were looking at a bird on (say) the left hand side of a tree and it flew to the right hand side and you followed it, you were considered to be “harassing” the bird. I promptly rang the QLD NPWS or whoever it was at the time and pointed this out. Needless to say this was not the intended result of their legislation and I think the entire permit application’s wording was changed not too long after. In the end the original person involved in obtaining the permit was able to organise it in the nick of time.

People used to wonder why I hated bureaucracy – and to a point still do!!

Mark

Sent from Mail for Windows