canberrabirds

painted snipe Lake Cargelligo in 2023

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: painted snipe Lake Cargelligo in 2023
From: kym bradley via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 04:48:38 +0000
• Our sighting at Lake Cargelligo in 2023 is the only NSW record so far!!

NEW BIRD ALERT.
Local bird count #216!! AUSTRALIA’S RAREST BREEDING WATERBIRD!!!!
~AUSTRALIAN PAINTED-SNIPE
Listed as Nationally & Globally endangered.
This TOPS the most exciting find on our birding journey. Read carefully 👇👇
• The Australian Painted-snipe is so rare, in a recent article in “The Guardian” ecologist Matt Herring described the bird as ‘NEAR-MYTHICAL’ !!
• There’s a rapidly decreasing population with experts estimating there to be as few as 340 birds left in the wild. Let me say that again threeeee hundred and forty!!!
• Only 6 or 7 records across Australia in the past 2 years!!
• Last year this bird was only spotted twice throughout New South Wales!! One sighting in the Macquarie Marshes and the other here near Lake Cargelligo!
• Our sighting at Lake Cargelligo in 2023 is the only NSW record so far!!
They are secretive birds that become active in the evening & at night, infrequently and irregularly recorded and becoming rarer and rarer as the years pass by.
We need your HELP - to spot this mysterious bird!
Lake Cargelligo has just experienced one of the biggest floods in history and receding floodwater is idea Painted-snipe habitat! The birds recorded here were seen over 4-5 consecutive days foraging on the edge of floodwater, it was muddy, grassy with sedges and reeds with some scattered lignum. Perfect habitat for APS!
Please keep your eyes out and be extremely mindful if travelling through shallow floodwater. If you’re not a birder the best way for us to describe the bird is almost “plover” size with shortish legs, and a long narrow bill. Look for that white/creamish stripe on shoulder and around eye (see photos).
PLEASE message us if you see this bird and always take a photo if you can - but be mindful and do not disturb them.
EVERY Australian Painted-snipe matters!