canberrabirds

Brown Treecreepers in paddock at junction of ApolloRoad and Naas Road

To: "" <>
Subject: Brown Treecreepers in paddock at junction of ApolloRoad and Naas Road
From: calyptorhynchus via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 02:58:34 +0000
Quite excited today to see these birds in that paddock. People began talking about Brown TCs at that spot about 8 years ago on the chatline and I starting stopping there regularly to see if I could see them. Never have until today!

[This paddock is on the opposite side of the road from Apollo Road, it begins at the junction and stretches down the hill towards the river. It is a hillside with trees and rocks, open woodland.]

One bird was hopping on rocks on the skyline and another bird was in a dead tree at the base of the slope right at the top of the tree (about 20 meters off the ground) keeping an eye on a perched Kestrel.

About 50% of the time I see Hooded Robins in that paddock, but not today. However, there were also Diamond Firetails, Southern Whiteface, White-plumed Honeyeater, Mistletoebird (1), Dusky Woodswallow, and one House Sparrow! A Pallid Cuckoo was calling in the distance.

At Namadgi Visitors' Centre there are now two Jacky Winters, so presumably they are breeding. Also a Rufous Songlark, White-throated Gerygone and, across the road, a few Bee-eaters hawking in the paddocks.

--
John Leonard
Canberra

Make nature great again.