canberrabirds

Peaceful Dove

To: 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: Peaceful Dove
From: "" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 06:44:25 +0000

At the end of my dog walk this afternoon, I flushed a small bird which I initially thought was a red-rumped parrot, but when it landed nearby it was clearly a very small dove.  I returned with binoculars 15 minutes later and at 16:43 was able to confirm Peaceful Dove (rather than Diamond) by its bluish face and  scalloping on the neck and shoulders.  This was at the end of Toona Pl Rivett, 50 m outside my GBS site.

Surprisingly it has only been reported only from 6 locations in the COG AoI this year, and it seems not since early March.  I have recorded them nearby before, but not for many years, though they have been regularly seen at Bibaringa not that far away.

Jack Holland