canberrabirds

FW: Honeyeater migration

To: "" <>, 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: FW: Honeyeater migration
From: John Layton <>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 02:03:15 +0000

At 11:15 this morning, just as the sun broke through here, a flock of 50 (conservative estimate) smallish birds swooped in from the north east landing on the outer branches of a large Service tree in a neighbouring yard about 25 metres from where I stood and paused long enough for me to identify the majority as Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. There may have been other species present but I couldn’t vouch for that. Within 20 seconds they were off again heading south west before landing on a tree some 70 metres away but still in sight. Less than 5 seconds later they were away again wheeling around to the north east and disappearing from view.

John Layton

Holt.