canberrabirds

Laughing Kookaburras

To: Lindell Emerton <>
Subject: Laughing Kookaburras
From: sandra henderson via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 18:03:42 +0000
A couple of years ago Lia and I were spotlighting at Uriarra East at night and came across a lineup of kookaburras on a branch in one of the casuarinas. 7 or 8 birds, huddled together like woodswallows. Very cute but also a little weird.
I also recall seeing seven in one tree on Jerrabomberra Hill on a COG outing some years ago.
A group of kookaburras is a flock or a riot - the latter seems appropriate when they all start laughing...
Sandra H