canberrabirds

Bowerbird fledgling?

To: "" <>, 'Dr David Rosalky' <>, 'COG bird list' <>
Subject: Bowerbird fledgling?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 07:19:29 +0000

Well I too have never seen one so brown or so far out in the open and I too have found it hard to pick a young SBB, except for the rare observations of seeing them clearly dependent. But I have very little experience of them other than in Canberra. This is at in Moruya Heads, maybe conditions are different there and they fledge a little earlier than here. Or at least this one appears to have done. That it is perched on a house fence or rail sort of suggests there may well be some human influence in it being where it is. Maybe it had been found as a nestling and part hand raised, at that house or another nearby.

Philip