canberrabirds

Bowerbird fledgling?

To: COG bird list <>
Subject: Bowerbird fledgling?
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 01:41:26 +0000

A friend living in Moruya Heads sent me this photo for ID.

My guess is that it is a newly fledged Satin Bowerbird.  I have never seen one so young and none of my books, including HANZAB shows a chick as opposed to a juvenile bird.

You can see some olive green on the upper back and the head/bill shape is characteristic.  The dots on the wing are somewhat more prominent than the juvenile.

Interestingly, the bird still displays a gape.  So, it may be within 3 weeks of fledging.  HANZAB has a detailed description of plumage but I found it difficult to correlate with what I see in the photo.

Can someone more familiar than I verify the ID for me please?

David R