canberrabirds

Trucking Yard Lane and nearby this morning

To: COG List <>
Subject: Trucking Yard Lane and nearby this morning
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 04:49:17 +0000
On my way to the Bungendore Cultural Centre this morning I stopped at Trucking Yard Lane and saw 26 Plumed Whistling Ducks, 52 A. Wood Ducks; 136 P. Black Ducks; *3 Grey Teal and 6 Chestnut Teal.

As it turned out the BCC opened 30 minutes later than I had thought I filled spare time with a visit to the poo pits.  Very few birds there, but a group of 22 Masked Lapwings were exploring the adjacent paddock.

Having made my deposit at the BCC as I headed home I noticed that the paddock around Bungendore Meadow Dam was replete with Australian Shelduck.  My final count was 87 but there could have been more below the lip of the dam which I could not see.  I have spoken with Paul Darmody about the fluctuation in numbers of fowl on his property and he explained that if he feeds the stock one type of grain the ducks are present in big numbers but with another sort they are not interested,  One sort is oats, the other is wheat, but I can't remember which is the attractive one.