canberrabirds

Re: Ebird - Rating Photos

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Re: Ebird - Rating Photos
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 01:01:53 +0000
Ebird does allow for photo specific comments about the bird and/or behaviour
and/or feature of the bird depicted in the photo to be added by the observer
when submitting a checklist, which is associated with the media and kept
separate to the species comments. Similarity, there are fields to select age
and sex of the bird in the image where known from a pre-defined list for
consistency. There are a separate set of fields for audio including song type
associated with each specific piece of audio.
Similarity, images can be submitted for a particular race of a species. The
race is not selected with the image, it is selected with the species. Eg. You
would report a magpie as Australian magpie (White-backed) it Australian magpie
(Black-backed) and upload the image into the relevant entry. Not all races are
shown by default and you may need to use the add species button to find a race
when entering. I highly recommend turning on scientific names​ in your settings
as common names for races aren't always so helpful.

I am not sure how much of this is searchable, the races certainly are and if
the other bits aren't yet searchable I would expect they will be made
searchable in the near future.

Ryu

--- Philip Veerman <> wrote:

Fair point and true in the majority of cases but maybe it should clarify: does
everyone agree that: the core purpose of the photograph is to show the
distinctive features of the bird, as in the identification points, rather than
perhaps interesting behaviour.     A good photo of cranial kinesis (the ability
to bend the beak upwards) in a Godwit is as valid in a Hudsonian Godwit
(identifiable or not as to its underwings) as any other godwit or wader. The
one posted to cog list recently showing the toes of a cuckoo was especially
useful for that purpose (to show a cuckoo’s toes, a view we rarely get)
although the particular species involved would make little difference to that
aspect. Then again how far does the idea extend, to being clear about within
species features, difference in age, sex, race, etc, may not be shown, although
no doubt as to species.  A good photo can be useful if it is of an unusual
specimen, as in one in which the distinctive
features are odd, (provided it is labelled as such).

Philip