canberrabirds

Re: Re: [canberrabirds] Ebird - Rating Photos

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Re: Re: [canberrabirds] Ebird - Rating Photos
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 11:45:49 +0000
Those guidelines have existed since the media upload was introduced. The main
purpose of the rating is to sort the media search, as while poor photos still
provide valuable documentation, those people looking at see images of a certain
species, perhaps to assist with ID or just for pleasure, want to see the best
images in the collection.

While it has always been possible to rate your own photos, the community
ratings is a very recent feature. Therefore, most images still carry the
initial rating given by the photographer. There is some bias in this - some
observers have a tendency to overrate their photos, either because they think
highly of their photos or because they want their photos to be regarded as
good. Other observers who take excellent photos might have a tendency to
underrate that photos as they have very high standards they are aiming for, and
anything below that, while excellent in any normal person's opinion, it's quite
average to them. While observers can still give their initial rating, the image
rating will now be an average of all ratings received, and the more community
ratings​ received, the more accurate the image placements will be.

I encourage all ebirders to familiarise themselves with these rating
benchmarks, particularly for when you rate your photos as you initially add
them to a list.

Ryu

--- David McDonald (personal) <> wrote:
That's interesting, Julie.

I have found that I need to avoid looking at the previous average score, where
there is one, to avoid biasing mine. Tho I have found that my scores are
usually fairly close to the average.

And yes, I looked closely at the ratings guideline help file item before I
commenced.

It is important that we get lots of ratings for Australian species as they will
form the basis of the Australian Merlin app
http://ebird.org/content/australia/news/expanding-the-merlin-bird-id-app-to-australia/
 .

Best wishes - David