canberrabirds

Kingfisher Park lodge @ Julatten nth of Cairns

To: 'Suzanne EDGAR' <>, "" <>
Subject: Kingfisher Park lodge @ Julatten nth of Cairns
From: Mark Clayton <>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 01:23:47 +0000

Hi Suzanne,

Over the last 24 years I have spent quite a bit of time at The Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, usually when I have been coming back from bird banding trips to Iron Range further up the Cape. There are several different types of accommodation available , from camping, bunk-house (not recommended if there are other people there as it can be very noisy) to one room motel style rooms and the cottage. I have stayed in all but the motel style rooms. A lot will depend on just what you want to do but on all occasions I have enjoyed my time there. It is, as John Brown has reported, a very birdy spot but it is a long way from any major shopping centre. I am assuming, rightly or wrongly, that you will fly to Cairns and take a hire car from there. It is approximately 80 km to Mareeba, the only place where you will be able to do any shopping, and then another, from memory, 30 km to the lodge. I usually only spend two nights there and people with me do a trip up to Mt Lewis which has a generally completely different bird fauna – it is cloud forest rainforest. As a suggestion you could also look at doing several nights in Atherton, which is more central to a wider range of habitats and bird species. There is an excellent BIG 4 caravan park on the western edge of town that is very good for birding as well.

If you want to discuss anything get back in touch with me and I can give you details of places to visit in the whole area.

Cheers,

Mark