canberrabirds

name the new hide at Kellys

To: <>
Subject: name the new hide at Kellys
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 21:36:34 +1000

Really whatever works is fine by me.... Mark makes as fair a point as any other, except I think a better way to involve those who are not already involved, is to make information more accessible, rather than less. Whatever, I think the names should be short. The hides are also used by people just to stop for a rest and admire the view or for their own, generally nocturnal intimate pleasure purposes and other things. The world doesn’t revolve around birds. I’m told (and I have mentioned this before) from at least 2 lady friends that it is a good location to go to for the skyfire events (much easier parking than at Commonwealth park). ........ The issue is that the average person has no real need to wonder what a e.g. Ardea is, to even think it is a bird or have a book about birds. How or why would someone care to make that link if it is not obvious?............ Where would some average person source information on Pseudonaja?  If there really are platypus there I would like that as a name but Ornithorhynchus would just be pompous...... I’m a little surprised Mark is not advocating Oxyura.