canberrabirds

Bird sites one can visit from london by Public transport

To: Alison Turner <>, "<>" <>
Subject: Bird sites one can visit from london by Public transport
From: David Rees <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:00:04 +1000
Alison

Places I visit for birds in the London area when seeing family in SE England include (in addition to London Wetland Centre)

Rainham Marshes in the Thames estuary run by the RSPB- can be seriously good, you will love the huge Marsh frogs!  Has good Cafe.  Short walk from station (not in a 'nice' area though). Can also watch proper modern trains go by - the high speed ones, the line to France forms the northern boundary of the reserve. I've seen good birds like River kingfisher, Cettis warbler, Northern wheatear, Short-eared Owl, Pied Avocet, Redshank, Western Marsh harrier there as well as many ducks, geese and hedgerow birds.

Staines Resevior near Heathrow Airport is often brilliant for migrants in the spring. it has a public footpath going across it see http://londonbirders.wikia.com/wiki/Staines_Reservoir   local buses via Asford, Staines and Heathrow.   I Go there a lot, I've seen 4 species of grebes there at once, Divers (loons,) black tern, arctic tern, wagtails, waders etc......    These were all filmed there https://vimeo.com/99448367 and https://vimeo.com/99400599 and https://vimeo.com/97521213

Chobham common - walk from Sunningdale station - has Nightjar, wookcock, Dartford Wablers https://vimeo.com/97391688, stonechats https://vimeo.com/121579367 etc. (first two - at dusk, late May onwards).

Can suggest many other places if you are prepared to get on trains for an hour or so.

Best bird book for Europe, including the UK (Collins bird Guide - by  Svensson, Mullarney and Zetterstrom) can now be got as a ipad/phone app.

Best wishes

David