canberrabirds

Bird sites one can visit from london by Public transport

To: Alison Turner <>, "" <>
Subject: Bird sites one can visit from london by Public transport
From: Susanne Gardiner <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 02:13:40 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Alison

London Wetland Centre is great and not too far out. I've spent many happy hours there and saw other birds, not just water birds. eg. green woodpecker ... but also terns, herons etc. They have good viewing spots. (and it's close to Putney)

Kew Gardens are great, too, but are a bit further out, but worth a visit even without bird watching.

Any of the parks are good, especially St James/Green Park and Battersea Park. Hyde Park and Kensington Palace park are a bit open and not necessarily great for little bird viewing especially if there are lots of people around. Though there are pockets with denser vegetation. I've had lifers around the sunken garden at Kensington Palace. There are lots of ducks, swans and geese around Round Pond.

From Putney head north over the bridge and on your left is Bishop's Park which is a nice little park and probably in walking distance or take the bus up Putney Bridge road)

Going south from Putney there is Putney heath which is just a rambling bit of green, but might be worth a visit in the morning or evening. Not sure what the human traffic would be like.

Cheers,

Susanne

PS I have some bird books for Britain and Europe if you want to borrow them.