canberrabirds

BirdLife Australia's data management plans, and HANZAB online

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: BirdLife Australia's data management plans, and HANZAB online
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:31:03 +1100
Hi, the December BLA Shorebirds 2020 Newsletter http://tinyurl.com/ktrffaz has some interesting info re BLA's data management plans, and great news that HANZAB is coming online:

quote
First of all it will be a major modernisation - taking advantage of the latest technological tool to make entering data and reviewing information as easy as possible. Better mapping interfaces, much easier data entry forms, better access to raw data and regional/project summaries and a renewed focus on priority fixed site bird monitoring - including shorebird population monitoring sites and count areas… and of course, a mobile app.

The other major focus of the upgrade will be integration. A consistent frustration for volunteers is double data entry, or not being able to review and retrieve information from the one place. This has been a legacy of the past and we realise is very inefficient and annoying! So we’re going to integrate as many monitoring program databases in one central place so you can go to the one place, log in once, and enter/review data quickly and easily.

It’s a big job but 2015 is the time to do it. The rollout will happen in stages - you can’t do something of this magnitude all at once - at least not properly. The first stage is due for completion in mid-2015 and will see a re-development of the online Atlassing presence (although our crucial Atlassing protocols will remain). A mobile app will also be released mid-year.

The portal is focused on coordinated and structured site-based monitoring which complements the eBird project. Later in 2015, specific monitoring programs, including S2020 sites and survey forms will be integrated into the portal, forming a “one-stop-shop” for our major bird monitoring programs.

The   conservation   portal   will   also   include   new elements:
• A dedicated IBA monitoring portal, allowing easy state/pressure/response reporting for all our IBAs; • HANZAB online. Thanks to the support of a major donor we have scanned the entire HANZAB series and are working on a section of the conservation portal to house these files and allow easy searching and updating of Australia’s premiere ornithological publication;
• State of Australia’s Birds reporting…

… and more. We thank all BirdLife Australia’s generous donors for helping us give our dedicated volunteers the tools they need for bird conservation. Your continued support is essential as we roll out further stages of the portal.
Stay tuned!
unquote

David

--