canberrabirds

Juvenile Firetail Finch and Juvenile Cuckoo

To: "'Mark Clayton'" <>, "'kym bradley'" <>, <>
Subject: Juvenile Firetail Finch and Juvenile Cuckoo
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:04:18 +1100
Sorry to ask for clarification on this. Actually I was wondering if it was an adult Black-eared Cuckoo (even in worn plumage - as shown in HANZAB). If it is a Horsfield’s Bronze Cuckoo then yes it is a juvenile. But that is one logic step across and Kym's labelling it as a juvenile may be based on that first. Sure, juvenile Horsfield’s Bronze Cuckoo is more likely (common) here, so on balance of probability if it fits that it would be that. But this bird shows almost no markings, other than the face pattern, no greenish above or reddish in the tail. I don't know juvenile Horsfield’s Bronze Cuckoo to be as unmarked, dull brown as this one and yet have such an obvious face pattern. If I saw what is in that photo where Black-eared Cuckoos are regular and I had nothing else to go on, I suspect I would think it an adult Black-eared Cuckoo. So why would that be wrong? But then I have no experience with that species.