canberrabirds

BirdLife Australia's data management plans, and HANZAB online

To: "David McDonald (personal)" <>, "<>" <>
Subject: BirdLife Australia's data management plans, and HANZAB online
From: David Rees <>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 14:21:36 +1100
David - all good mate.  Out of interest,  I note that bits of HANZAB relating to NZ are already online, along with their checklist etc. - via species search at http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/

A decent data app might be good - might upgrade my phone then!!

David

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM, David McDonald (personal) <m("dnmcdonald.id.au","david");" target="_blank">> wrote:
Hi, the December BLA Shorebirds 2020 Newsletter http://tinyurl.com/ktrffaz has some interesting info re BLA's data management plans, and great news that HANZAB is coming online:

quote
First of all it will be a major modernisation - taking advantage of  the  latest  technological  tool  to  make entering data and reviewing information as easy as possible.  Better  mapping interfaces,  much  easier data  entry  forms,  better  access  to raw  data  and regional/project summaries and a renewed focus on priority   fixed   site   bird   monitoring   -   including shorebird  population  monitoring  sites  and  count areas… and of course, a mobile app.

The  other  major  focus  of  the  upgrade  will  be integration. A  consistent  frustration  for  volunteers is  double  data entry,  or  not  being  able  to  review and  retrieve  information from  the  one  place.  This has been a legacy of the past and we realise is very inefficient   and   annoying!   So   we’re   going to integrate as many monitoring program databases in one  central place  so  you  can  go  to  the  one  place, log  in  once,  and enter/review  data  quickly  and easily.

It’s  a  big  job  but  2015  is  the  time  to  do  it.  The rollout   will   happen   in   stages   -   you   can’t   do something  of  this  magnitude  all  at  once  -  at  least not properly. The first stage is due for completion in mid-2015  and will  see  a  re-development  of  the online   Atlassing presence   (although   our   crucial Atlassing  protocols  will remain).  A  mobile  app  will also be released mid-year.

The portal is focused on coordinated and structured site-based monitoring   which   complements   the eBird  project.  Later  in 2015,  specific  monitoring programs,  including  S2020  sites  and survey  forms will  be  integrated  into  the  portal,  forming  a “one-stop-shop” for our major bird monitoring programs.

The   conservation   portal   will   also   include   new elements:
• A  dedicated  IBA  monitoring  portal,  allowing easy state/pressure/response  reporting  for  all our IBAs;
• HANZAB  online.  Thanks  to  the  support  of  a major   donor we   have   scanned   the   entire HANZAB series and are working on a section of the conservation portal to house these files and allow easy searching and updating of Australia’s premiere ornithological publication;
• State of Australia’s Birds reporting…

…   and   more.   We   thank   all   BirdLife   Australia’s generous  donors  for  helping  us  give  our  dedicated volunteers     the     tools     they     need     for     bird conservation. Your continued support is essential as we roll out further stages of the portal.
Stay tuned!
unquote

David

--