canberrabirds

the joy of birds--and iceland poppies

To: Birds Canberra <>
Subject: the joy of birds--and iceland poppies
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 18:26:04 +1000
At 5pm, 13 gang-gangs came in to my feeder.  There were no seeds in the feeder
at that time.  I put seeds in and enjoyed watching these birds, from my dining
room window for about 30 minutes.  There were males, females and juveniles.
What fun.  A couple of galahs came in after a while, and thought about shooing
the gang-gangs away.  This is the 2nd time that 13 gang-gangs have come in.
The last time was the day of the mystery tour.  Yes, I do put in weekly data
sheets.  Yesterday, and Tuesday, we did not have any ggs, but of course, they
could have come in when we were not here.

I have been wondering whether, Lindell or anyone else near me in Griffith have
been enjoying gang-gangs all year

I just picked 38 iceland poppies from my garden.  I burned their stem and put
them in a vase.  Why do I burn their stems? Because my mother did.  Not a very
scientific reason.  These poppies were planted in the warm spell just before
winter set in.  The frosts did not worry them, and they flowered all through
winter

My wollemi pine has flowers.  A couple of the flowers are now almost 3 ins
long.  It is a very healthy tree, out in the open

Elizabeth