canberrabirds

Re: Raptor near the beginning of the main Canberra International Airport

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Re: Raptor near the beginning of the main Canberra International Airport runway (across the road in Pictureresque Pialligo)
From: Harold Schranz <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 19:02:07 +1000
Hi Philip et al.

Thanks for the IDing ... I didn't have time to directly compare the two sets ... the bird photos were a side product of my visit to the airport and amongst a whole bunch of Scout photos!

Sorry about the IQ. The photos were limited by the distance ... I wasn't using less than 30X zoom (equivalent to 777mm in 35mm) and not used to handheld tracking of birds and raptors in particulsr ... so autofocus often didn't get enough of a lock. Probably easier to take pictures of raptors in the wetlands when they are muchh much closer to the ground. 8-)

I was wondering how varied the pattern morphs are - the Little Eagle seems to look a bit different feather colouration/patterning to examples I compared on apps and on the Web - but of course the physical form - e.g. number of tip feathers seems spot on. I still am unsure about the common feather colouration/patterning on a juvenile BSK but I guess the hanging legs piccie is somewhat diagnostic.

A bit of fun in an idle few minutes (waiting for metal birds) and a learning experience for me. Thanks to All!

Harold