canberrabirds

cisticolas breeding

To: John Harris <>
Subject: cisticolas breeding
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:34:49 +1100
I don't count myself as 'learned' but here is an opinion.

I have never seen a 'universal' definition of what is a breeding display written down.  The concept is something along the lines of "behaviour intended to persuade a bird of the opposite sex to copulate".

This covers a large range of species-specific behaviours:
  • Whistlers do what is almost a choreographed dance around in a tree;
  • Wedge-tailed Eagles perform a spectacular display flight;
  • Male musk ducks do their water-shovelling display;
  • a Pallid Cuckoo flying to another Pallid Cuckoo and offer it food  in the middle of doing a call and response routine.
  • Most anything done by a Satin Bowerbird around the bower
I'm not sure that it is always the male that is the actor, but whether the other participant is visible depends on the situation.  I've certainly seen male Satin Bowerbirds going though a very vigorous display routine without a female in sight for several minutes.  Then she has emerged from dense undergrowth at which point I offered them privacy.  Clearly what the male was doing was DIsplay and would have been even if I had left before the female revealed herself to me (I suspect the BB knew she was there all along).

Martin