canberrabirds

sleepless Willy Wagtail?

To: "'Susanne Gardiner'" <>, "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: sleepless Willy Wagtail?
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:33:50 +1100

Recently several COG members and members of the local banding team, under the guidance of Neil Hermes, undertook an extremely productive birding trip to PNG  to, among other places, Madang where Neil had spent some 18 months working. Neil warned us that because of security reasons, in many places the lights are kept on at night. Because of this he also warned us that as a result, the local Willie Wagtails breed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (not too sure what happens in a leap year !!!!). He was right and the birds were calling all night. Not only that but the local Varied Honeyeaters also called from about three in the morning hotly pursued by the New Guinea Friarbird. When all three species are calling in the early a m you can almost forget about sleeping.

In many years of camping around Australia in open wooded country, WW are often heard calling, mostly on warm nights with something close to a full moon and generally during breeding season. It is (usually) one of the joys of bush camping.

Mark