canberrabirds

sleepless Willy Wagtail?

To: David Rosalky <>
Subject: sleepless Willy Wagtail?
From: John Harris <>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 02:41:34 +0000
Yes indeed to the tradition about Willy Wagtails. I spent most of my life in Aboriginal communities and the Willy Wagtail is the brunt of all sorts of accusations about knowing and spreading secrets. Largely it is thought to be a gossip and unwelcome, poor thing. I think this notion developed because they are not particularly shy of humans and  the way a Willy Wagtail would perch close to a family camp and then a few minutes later the same bird would be seen twittering away at another family's camp.  Superstitions die hard in every culture - like our number 13 or lucky horseshoes or fear of black cats or bats or  whatever - and plenty Aboriginal people I know will say it is just old fashioned talk but i still hear them say, "Sssshhhh the little bird is listening'!
cheers
John
John Harris