canberrabirds

sleepless Willy Wagtail?

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: sleepless Willy Wagtail?
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 04:22:11 +0000

Further north,  in highland Papua New Guinea , the Willie Wagtail has rather more complicated associations,  according the classic account:

Majnep, Ian Saem and Bulmer, Ralph 1977. Birds of My Kalam Country. Auckland, Auckland University Press.

pp. 100, 103-4

Saem’s description…

“Konmayd [the Willie Wagtail, Rhipidura leucophrys] is another bird

which no one eats because of its foods, which are worms and excrement

and insects. But it is a good hird. If when a new garden is being cleared

and planted, it comes and calls 'jt - jt' as it dances, this means that all

the crops will flourish: dab jt gp means a big quantity of produce

gathered together for a house-building or dance. Also if it dances and

calls by pigs, it means that it is taking care of them. It is the ghost of

one of your paternal kin that appears as this bird. For this reason one

should not kill it. Children sometimes take and eat the young, but they

should not do so….

And Ralph Bulmer’s commentary:

“As Saem says, people do not eat the insectivorous birds of the garden

areas, partly because the three most conspicuous of them, the Willie

Wagtail, the Pied Chat, and the Shrike, perch at graves and are said to

eat maggots from the corpses. The shrike is said by some even to eat

human flesh, particularly the flesh of infants who were formerly placed

on small thatched platforms raised on a pole, in a recently abandoned

garden. Kalam did not traditionally bury their dead, but exposed

corpses, either on the ground or on a raised platform, with a substantial

fence built around, to keep out pigs, dogs, and cannibal witches. Later,

when the flesh had decomposed, the bones were cleaned and placed up

in the forks of trees, or in clumps of epiphytic fern, by streamsides or

in the forest. There was an intermediate stage in the case of important

adult men, in which the bones were placed in a small shelter or shrine,

often at the edge of the forest at the site of a former hunting camp or

cooking place of the deceased, for two or three years.

A second reason why these small insectivores of the garden zone are

not eaten is that they feed on the ground, and are believed either to eat

excrement or at least take insects which have been feeding on

excrement. Kalam use gardens which have recently gone out of

production as latrine areas, and birds feed in these. But even away from

these human latrine areas, there is often pig dung in garden fallow and

around the homesteads, and Kalam also find it disgusting that birds take

insects which are associated with this.

            At the same time, two of these birds, the Willie Wagtail and the Pied

Chat, are relatively fearless of man, and challenge humans who invade

their territories and approach their nests. They are thus very appropriate

messengers and manifestations of the dead. The shrike, in contrast, is a

much shyer bird, and is not accorded any special significance.

In 1973 a deaf and dumb child from Gobnem fell while climbing to a

Willie Wagtail's nest and severely injured himself. Adam Wpc and his

wife commented that children had no business to disturb Willie

Wagtails' nests, these were good birds which looked after the pigs.”

Interestingly, no mention of nocturnal singing….

Robin Hide