canberrabirds

ANU Campus Bird Monitoring

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: ANU Campus Bird Monitoring
From: Daryl King <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:07:49 +1000
Philip,
Re your second paragraph on myna mobility and home range; you may have access to data that I have not seen.   I am familiar with  the low-density, actively-controlled, wary population in Belconnen.  In the absence of marked or instrumented birds, I have no measure of individual mobility but, based on analysis of more than 2,500 records, I can say that the distribution of the population is constrained by the presence or absence of viable nest cavities.  Home ranges appear to be very compact and not to vary much throughout the year; my sightings were within 122 ± 106 m (mean ±  SD) of an active or previously-successful nest at all times.
Regards
Daryl