canberrabirds

Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Field guides

Subject: Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Field guides
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 08:45:36 +1100
Erika
Having cut my teeth on the very frustrating Cayley, I will never forget the bliss of my first Slater's, long since fallen to bits from use. As I do a bit of travelling overseas, I buy a field guide for where I am going but am still well short of Geoffrey's ton. I don't write in them. In terms of preparation, if I am going to a specific place I wll try to get hold of an on-line list (often for a nearby national park). I then go through each of the listed species in the field guide and also at least one of the various web-based photographs of each species. My aim is to get a general feel for what is likely, what not, and also to be ready to look for diagnostic characteristics. The main gap in this is calls. I have found that as I get older my capacity to 'remember' new calls has declined markedly. I don't think it is my hearing... I think it is the memory function.
regards
Con