canberrabirds

Fwd: RE: Birds at the Arboretum

To: "COG chatline" <>
Subject: Fwd: RE: Birds at the Arboretum
From: "Tony Lawson" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:16:20 +1100
I too have been on an arboretum survey. The figure is no surprise to me. The list of birds seen is in the first edition of the NAC magazine.

I have been at the arboretum most weeks for the last 4 years, helping at the STEP site. I have been keeping an eye out for the birds seen from our site (we are on the edge of the arboretum, and I include birds seen in the adjoining woodland and rural lease). I have seen many of the birds on the list and a few that are not on it – eg brown goshawk. What is pleasing is that the numbers of species and the numbers of each species are steadily growing as the forests grow – some forests have done extremely well due to the favourable rains in the last 4 years. (STEP created an ephemeral wetland because of all the water on its site and it stayed wet until the dry period from late spring last year.)

Tony