canberrabirds

Rainbow Lorikeet Richardson

To: "'kym bradley'" <>, <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeet Richardson
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:32:44 +1100
I'm not too sure about sharing food for your "babies" (or is that "baby's food") with the birds. I wonder why you would write "excuse the shots", they are very nice. For what it is worth, I took several photos of the baby Koel yesterday but as I don't have a camera with a long lens and even though I got within 2 metres and the bird is certainly identifiable as to what it is they are terrible photos and I wouldn't bother posting them.

Beyond that, the year I did a GBS in Richardson (I think 2002-3), I'm pretty sure I recorded Rainbow Lorikeets there (but I don't have access to the GBS results). Assessing the change in status of the Rainbow Lorikeet is not so clear. Years ago I wrote an article: (1991) ‘The changing status of the Rainbow Lorikeet Trichoglossus haematodus in South-east Australia: the role of wild and escaped birds’, Australian Bird Watcher 14: 3–9. (Investigates the range increase.)

The inspiration for that came from Canberra where there appeared in the late 1980s to be the start of getting many records of these birds and so maybe increase but any such trend is minute (so far) compared to the explosion of numbers they have achieved in Melbourne. At the time (and I still do) I visited Melbourne and noticed how many there were when in my young days the species never occurred there. Similar story in Perth except there it is known to be established from captive released birds.

This is what The GBS Report says:
The pattern shown by this conspicuous and easily identified species is not at all clear. This goes against the preliminary results of Veerman (1991a). The trend described therein for Melbourne has held up but the increase described for Canberra has not continued. There is a February to April peak in numbers but when combined with staying fairly similar from July till January, that does not suggest a natural seasonal pattern at this stage. The monthly pattern is far from consistent. In some years the birds may be passage migrants, nomads or randomly occurring from escaped or released birds. Group size is small, up to ten birds noted. The numbers rose dramatically from Years 5 to 8 but then declined. Most records are from the Belconnen area, the north-west suburbs of Canberra.
It would be very interesting to know what has happened since The GBS Report. So I checked. Predictably, with access to another 6 years of data, Birds of Canberra Gardens V2 provided much less information, indeed exactly nil additional information. There are articles in CBN about the localised group in Belconnen but that suggests a strong likelihood of captive origin.