canberrabirds

the crake package

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: the crake package
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:09:19 +1100
Earlier this month I noted that all five crakes and rails had been seen at the Namadgi Visitors Centre and wondered if, if conditions were right, whether you got all the whole crake package. Ie whetehr there were anty difference sin ecological requirements between the five ssp.

Yesterday I saw Buff-banded Rail, Australian and Spotless Crakes there, and I know other observers did too. In other words Baillons Crake and Lewin's Rail weren't in evidence. The water has dropped at this pond has dropped in the past few weeks and there is now a large margin of mud, which evidently suited the BB Rail and the Australian Crake as they were pottering about on it. The Spotless Crakes was skulking amongst the reeds as this species seems to do.

It occurred to me that when I have seen Baillons Crake and Lewin's Rail these have been in places were there is more continuous low cover, ie sedges, tussock grasses &c. Perhaps this is the habitat difference.

--
John Leonard