canberrabirds

the crake package

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: the crake package
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:56:08 +1100
Just on John's point that Crakes and Rails are "likely to turn up" in a suitable site, I vividly remember the excitement when various Crakes turned up in the centre of Canberra when the Lake started to fill and then stalled because of a 9 month dry spell.
Crake heaven in a previously crake-free environment.

Of course I realise that the Crake-free comment can also reflect the "observer-free" status of the Molonglo River prior to the Lake starting to fill.

But clearly these birds, lousy fliers as they are, are quite capable of getting around over large distances. The related Black-tailed Native Hen is the most famous "irrupter" in that clan.

Denis Wilson