canberrabirds

Inadequacy of Cygnus Hide at Kelly's Swamp

Subject: Inadequacy of Cygnus Hide at Kelly's Swamp
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 08:30:01 +1100
At 12:49 AM 4/01/2013, you wrote:
The recently compromised Cygnus Hide at Kelly's Swamp may as well be a plate glass shop window! The birds are about 1.5 metres below the hide so the ludicrous screen that attempts to block out back-lighting needs to be at least doubled in height if it were to be effective. Even then the sieve-like flooring would not provide an effective screen between birds and would-be bird observers. It amazes me that after 25 years, at least, of being a brilliant bird hide that it has been now so badly buggered up! The most effective use of the hide in its current configuration is to peer around it rather than attempt to enter it!!

I recently visited Kelly's for the first time in months. At both Bittern and Cygnus hides (the only 2 I visited), despite entering slowly and carefully the birds literally turned and looked at me, some flying off. These were not just the birds close to the hide but quite a few birds a good distance away. This was in the afternoon, which may make a difference to the light levels within the hide? Despite staying sitting quietly for the next 15 minutes as unobtrusively as possible, I was carefully watched by birds the whole time I was in there. It was nice to be able to sit and train the binoculars across the swamp, but I felt that I was on show rather than the birds were.

I don't get out there often, and to be honest I'm not sure how much I'll go there after last week's experience. I have never felt like this in the past when visiting, and if this had been my first visit I would most likely never try them again. I'm only a beginner, so it really doesn't matter that much in the scheme of things, but it must frustrate the heck out of the serious birders.

Personally, I don't see the point of the screen outside the door when you can clearly see sky for a few feet above it when you're sitting in the hide. Perfect way to make a silhouette?

I hope everyone had a great Silly Season and New Year.  All the best for 2013.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT