canberrabirds

Inadequacy of Cygnus Hide at Kelly's Swamp

To: <>
Subject: Inadequacy of Cygnus Hide at Kelly's Swamp
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:54:19 +1100
I don't imagine anyone being offended by this point of view. Although given
the aggressive response I got last week at Kambah Pool at telling a group of
4 very tattooed guys that they should not take their dog there, some people
do find it offensive that considerations towards nature, abiding by
regulation or civic responsibilities should be expressed.

This below seems to me to assume that the sole purpose of these hides is to
make them suitable for bird watchers, watching birds. That seems just a bit
presumptuous to me. They are there for those purposes, and for other
reasons, or maybe particular designs or modifications were chosen to make
them less appealing to being used for other reasons (as I and others wrote
about before). And these were considered as higher priority (though I still
wonder why the change was that high priority).

I also think that birds are a lot more resilient than maybe some of us like
to think. Being looked at is hardly a major threat. Think of the Buff-banded
Rails (normally a shy bird that when exposed to minimal human interactions)
who become very tame, scrounging on picnic tables at places like Green
Island, or learn to go into people's gardens (several recent examples around
Australia) or become very tame in zoos, as do most birds, fairly rapidly, in
captivity.