canberrabirds

worrying visit to callum brae

To: Cog line <>
Subject: worrying visit to callum brae
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 08:00:23 +1100
arrived 6.30 this morning for a walk in CB before the heat took over.  however, after only 15 mins I turned around and saw huge plume of smoke from the Narrabundah Lane direction. hurried back to find firefighters putting out a fire in a car only 50m from mine, on the opposite side. Hadn't noticed a car there when I arrived, hadn't seen anyone else in CBNR, and no sign of a driver. as I drove off (didn't want to stay and start again - there was a lot of smoke) - I noticed there was another car on fire - fire truck just turning up to that one - on the dead-end road between dog training area and the large empty paddock opposite caravan park on Narrabundah Lane - more than a coincidence to have 2 car fires within 15 mins of each other only a few hundred metres apart - dumped and torched?
20 birds in my abbreviated visit - of most interest was a kestrel being vigorously harrassed by a willy wagtail .
sandra h