canberrabirds

Today tonight or explanation of rhynchokinesis

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: Today tonight or explanation of rhynchokinesis
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 14:39:45 +1100

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for the correction, to stop the error going forward. I made a spelling (typing) error, even though I know how to spell it. Funny thing is the spell checker picked this but I assumed because it is a rare word and I didn't even notice. Amusing thing is I recall the original (earlier) post by Bob Inglis used a different spelling error (equally accidental I assume). Oh well, the wisdom is to avoid the occasional error, don't do anything. I also noticed this morning that Ian Fraser's nice piece in the latest Gang-gang contains some consistent or related thoughts on the same topic. Also my writing "It is easy to explain if I have a bird's skull in my hand" wrongly suggests it is about me. It would have been better said that "It is easy to demonstrate if we can all sethe arrangement of bones and this movement in a bird's skull."

Any bending of the tongue is a separate mechanical process from rhynchokinesis, even though maybe it helps in supporting or manipulating the bill movements. What you suggest about the tongue seems very likely to be correct.

As for ‘Today tonight’ is the name of (as self-described) ‘Australia’s number one current affair program’. The emphasis may be on being "self-described".

Philip

 -----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Sunday, 9 December 2012 12:13 PM      To:
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Today tonight or explanation of rynchokinesis

Thank you Philip

(The usual spelling seems to be ‘rhynchokinesis’)

There are some photos on websites showing bill flexing, but not for Latham’s Snipe or as extreme as my examples.  I think my bird, for at least 6 minutes, was cleaning and exercising its bill at the end of the day.  One ARKIVE shot shows a snipe with the hinge of its tongue (if I can call it that) against the upper mandible  -  I have a poor shot rather similar.   Here are a couple more.  (I am not one to let a poor photo stand in the way of a contribution to science.)

Number (1) shows the upper mandible flexed to the point that compression wrinkles have appeared on the upper surface.  It also shows the tongue hinge beginning to work.  The hinge as shown in (2) is enlarged at (2a).  This clearly shows hooks (or barbs) that are presumably used to haul the earthworm into the mouth, perhaps with the bill remaining closed.  Not details readily apparent in a typical view of the species in the field.

‘Today tonight’ is the name of (as self-described) ‘Australia’s number one current affair program’ which aims, each evening, to review the events of the day, like my initial offering.   I don’t watch it, but I know what it is.