canberrabirds

Today tonight

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>, "" <>
Subject: Today tonight
From: Bob Rusk <>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 02:59:44 -0800 (PST)
Hi Geoff !

I've seen this done more than a couple of times with Bar-tailed Godwits when "yawning", but when you think about it, the bill would have to be flexible to enable the bird to feed. It would be virtually impossible to open their bills " chop stick fashion" for the intake of food when they are immersed in mud or sand to the full length. Obviously the lower half is flexible and sensitive enough to open at the extremities to enable them to take "prey" with a tweezer like action when detected. What do you reckon.
Bob
PS- No differences of opinion will be tolerated