canberrabirds

snipe naming/nomenclature

To: "'Bill & Raelene Graham'" <>, <>
Subject: snipe naming/nomenclature
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:11:36 +1000
Hello Bill,

It is not a silly situation. It is history and that there is simply a limit to how many different words we wish to have and a reluctance to invent entirely new names as different groups of fauna are discovered. These issues arise when entirely separate (not closely related) groups, that happen to look similar to members of other groups that were well known and named, earlier, by Europeans, and so a later discovered group or species, were often given the same name. Curiously this happened a lot in Australia. Like our marsupial mole, marsupial mice, Tasmanian Tiger (Wolf), Spiny Anteater, Magpies, Finches, Robins, Wagtails, Button-quails, etc, etc. Many rural people even call a wombat a badger.  Although the situation with giving Australian mammals their own names has improved a lot over recent decades. There are many species of snipes but only one (or two) species of Painted Snipes. As (I expect) the Scolopacidae group of snipes were named first, they are called "true snipes" and because there are many species of them it would be pointless and against the rules to try to change all of their names. The one e.g. above of Button-quails sort of addresses the issue by adding a word to indicate a total separation from true Quails and I suppose "Painted" sort of does the same task as "Button". (But I have no idea what "button" is meant to mean.)

The issue of whether there should be a hyphen and where the capitals go in Australian Painted-snipe is not yet settled (but that is probably the way to go).

If your issue is about putting Australian Painted-snipe & Latham's Snipe on the same page on a field guide book because they look sort of similar and may live in similar places, well that is a whole other issue.