canberrabirds

snipe naming/nomenclature

To: Paul Fennell <>
Subject: snipe naming/nomenclature
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 12:48:11 +1000
Paul

Thank you, but at 2.5Mb I passed on downloading this epic.

Martin

On 2 October 2012 11:53, Paul Fennell <> wrote:

Bill and Martin

I was intrigued by your emails about the two snipe, and started googling the difference.  I came across this highly erudite article which is too big and complex for me to read, but has a lovely lot of diagrams labelled phylogenetic analyses of Charadriiformes.  There appears to be considerable evidence that they are not close relatives, but the conversation continues….

See diagram on page 13

There are some Australian references:

Christian P, Christidis DL, Schodde R. 1992a. Biochemical systematics of the Charadriiformes (shorebirds): relationships between Charadrii, Scolopaci, Lari. Australian

Journal of Zoology 40: 291–302.

Christian P, Christidis DL, Schodde R. 1992b. Biochemical systematics of the Australian dotterels and plovers

(Charadriiformes: Charadriidae). Australian Journal of

Zoology 40: 225–233.

http://www.carnegiemnh.org/assets/science/birds/livezey.1096-3642.2010.00635.x.pdf

Cheers

Paul