canberrabirds

signs of spring

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: signs of spring
From: Stuart Harris <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 20:10:57 +1000
..in addition, at my workplace at Mount Majura Vineyard we had a Fan-tailed Cuckoo land on a post in clear view today, and continued to call all morning, had heard fragments of this call from the pines West of MMV (Mount Majura) last two weeks but confirmed it today....also, aside from postman's whistle call, a single syllable call with upward inflection was noted whilst it flew from post to post..

Regards
Stuart Harris

PS  during the COG walk around MMV last Sunday, I mentioned a flock of 66 Yellow-Tailed Black-Cockatoos I had seen the previous Friday....the day following our walk, which counted 26 species (though  was missing a few normally seen at MMV), i got off my quad to do some pruning in the 'Pines Block' and was sniping away when about 30 mins later (9am approx) a 'black cloud' of est 120 YTBC rose above the Pines, and within ten mins 13 more stragglers moved off making the flock a good sized one at (approx) 133 :) Was also a White-necked (Pacific) Heron in the small dam all this week which i hoped would be there for the COG walk, but alas, it wasn't.