canberrabirds

Walk to Shepherds Lookout and Woodstock Nature Reserve.

To: COG List <>,
Subject: Walk to Shepherds Lookout and Woodstock Nature Reserve.
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 15:41:36 +1000
The editors of Gang-gang may wish to take up these two offerings.  Could the Trips Coordinator arrange for the next walk to be advertised on the website.

Report on Walk of 16 May to Shepherd's Lookout

17 members and guests gathered at the appointed time and place.  Although still quite cool (about 5C) the day soon heated up ornithologically with Steve pointing out a Speckled Warblers nest the development of which he had followed and reported on the chatline.

Moving out towards the Lookout platform we observed at least two pairs each of White-plumed Honeyeaters and Scarlet Robins.  The latter were using the dried Verbascum stalks as perches for surveying the surrounding territory.  At least 4 Speckled Warblers were feeding on the ground near the Lookout and a range of bush birds were seen in the surrounding scrub.

We then moved through an unlocked gate into another part of Woodstock where Lindell showed us the roost hollow of an Australian Owlet Nighjtar.  It was tough to get a photograph due to the position of the sun relative to the nest but everyone did see the bird snoozing happily.

We then moved back towards the gate adding a few more species (including 2 Black-shouldered Kites, 2 Red-browed Finches and 4 Double-barred Finches).  By the end of the walk we had recorded 32 species - not bad for a cool Autumn day.  While chatting in the parking area a Wedge-tailed Eagle flew overhead and 4 Galahs passed by, making the total count 34!

As usual, a full species list will appear on the Trips element of the COG website in due course.

Next Walk

The next Wednesday Walk will be on 20 June 2012.  The walk will be to Lake Rd Bungendore and we should meet where that road comes off the road to Smith's Gap as shown in the attachment.  The exact venues we will visit will be determined later and will be advised on a message to the Chatline.