canberrabirds

Jerra Wetlands Parkcare Group

To: <>
Subject: Jerra Wetlands Parkcare Group
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:50:47 +1100
I agree with Geoff about "A well-lit hide is an oxymoron" and I think that it seems so silly to suggest spending money on changing these. There are much more important things for the public purse. I also agree with Martin's line of questions and wonder why are these concerns being raised. It seems to me dopey and not supported to suggest people are afraid of these things being dark - then don't go in them.....

I also think that most of the time, most waterbirds are well capable of coping with people passing by at the kind of distances involved there. Of course there will be exceptions. It is not as if the birds can't see people walking along the paths and in and out of the hides. We can't screen off the whole area.

When we had the Painted Snipe there, I postulated that signs asking people to keeping away from the area may endanger the Painted Snipe by reducing people activity and thus removing a disincentive for foxes to hunt in the area. Foxes being a far greater danger than a few people wanting to see the birds or just wander through.