canberrabirds

A few obs from the Area of Interest (AOI)

To: COG List <>
Subject: A few obs from the Area of Interest (AOI)
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:02:11 +1100
A juvenile Wedgetailed Eagle patrolled along Whiskers Creek Road yesterday at about 100m altitude (a very rough guess by me).  It was greeted by a pair of very antsy Masked Lapwings - I was surprised to see them go so high- and eventually escorted from the vicinity by Australian Raven and Australian Magpies.

A skein - I can't call it anything else, it was so reminiscent of the flocks of Canada Geese in North America - of 26 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos went to great efforts to avoid overflying my GBS site this morning.

The most surprising eent was flushing a Brown Quail from the flotsam-enhanced banks of the Queanbeyan River in beautiful down-town Karabar at lunchtime today.  While the River is well below flood level it still has plenty of water coming down it!

Martin