canberrabirds

More Satin Bower Birds in Higgins

To: <>
Subject: More Satin Bower Birds in Higgins
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:46:34 +1100
Paul, the answer to your question is possibly not but I can't be sure.

Philip Veerman and I published a paper in Canberra Bird Notes in 2000 [CBN Vol 25 (2) pp59-71] documenting the spread of this species into Canberra suburbs. While most of the records to that time were from the S of Canberra (Weston Creek, Woden and Tuggeranong - the spread seemed to be from the SW), there were a number of records from Fraser (Mt Rogers) from as early as 1996.

I have not been very rigorous about keeping records of new suburbs since that time, but am aware of observations from Melba and that the species has gradually spread westwards from the Botanic Gardens to Aranda through Cook to Weetangera and Hawker. So yours could well be a further spread from the N or from the SE.

Where the birds originally at Mt Rogers came from is unclear, as there doesn't seem to be much good habitat for them in the large distance between the ranges and there. Many of the birds I used to see in Chapman were at least temporary local residents (there was a large roost of up to 85 birds each winter in Chauvel Circle pre-fires), but more recently I have seen groups of up to a dozen birds or so heading SW from Cooleman Ridge where suitable habitat is much closer.

So I hope you enjoy your "new residents", I spent many hours watching the activities round a bower over the fence in my neighbour's garden, that sadly is no more as it was abandoned after the January 2003 fires. However, be careful of your vegies, they are very efficient at stripping the green leaves of brassicas etc, and some members very soon tire of their presence!!

Regards

Jack Holland

-----Original Message----- From: Paul T.