canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] winterbirds 2011

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] winterbirds 2011
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:52:18 +1000

Perhaps I should have initiated the 8-weeks exercise again, but a bit late now.  Maybe next year.  One reason for doing it (and perhaps for not doing it) is markedly differing  perceptions about what is ‘exceptional’.  We can’t answer that unless we know what is ‘non-exceptional’ -  which is the really difficult one to answer.

Anyway, in connection with all that I had a message from Alastair Smith, who, as you know, (apart from helping make available all the CBNs on line and other feats) established the Birdline ACT site.  If you wish, you can register for weekly reports from that site, which I have done, and I find it most  useful.  Alastair says:

<< With the interest in this topic and some interesting sightings already, if you do your winterbirds things again, I wonder if you could push people towards reporting their sightings and reviewing sighting reports on Birdline ACT. http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=11

We have now cracked the ton in reported sightings since I set up the site but in about 80% of cases I still need to monitor canberrabirds and ask people to report. >>