canberrabirds

Noisy Pittas - outside COG AOI

To: <>, <>
Subject: Noisy Pittas - outside COG AOI
From: Stephen Brand <>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:58:48 +1100
In about 1978 I worked in Bondi Junction in Sydney. It was before I took up bird watching.  However we had a birdwatcher on staff and he was handed a bird which had flown into the window.  He was amazed as he positively identified a Noisy Pitta. Not far from Vaucluse. It ended up at the zoo.
On another matter when I was at the rugby last Saturday week, at half time there were two raptors hawking for large insects in the lights very high. It was well after dark. They looked like Kestrels but I am not good at the differences in these size raptors and they were quite high.  I looked pretty strange looking directly up with my Bins at the footy.  But at least it was half time. Has anyone else seen this.  I have seen it with owls in street lights but not with raptors.
Also heaps of Gang Gangs around Torrens today. And I agree with the comment about counting Pardalotes in trees. I had a about three trees full of them about a month ago. There would have been over 30 and not calling.
Stephen Brand
Torrens