canberrabirds

Pipits, bushlarks and chats

To: <>
Subject: Pipits, bushlarks and chats
From: "Eric Wenger" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:42:52 +1000
Dear Jack,
Don't worry, I'm not offended!  I agree it must have been disconcerting to
have someone say they saw chats and then up pops a photo of a pipit-looking
bird.  I should have changed the subject heading.

Mount Stromlo is in very close proximity. Did you see the google map that
Martin Butterfield sent of the area where we saw the chats?  The map
pinpointed the spot fairly accurately.  The place is accessed on Coppins
Crossing Road and is not far from the intersection with Uriarra Road.  The
far side of Uriarra Road is Mt Stromlo and Stromlo pine forest extends all
the way down to Uriarra Road and then sweeps in a wide arc all the way back
round to Coppins Crossing bridge.  The area where we saw the birds sort of
completes the circle of this arc back to Mt Stromlo.  This is probably very
confusing!

Geoffrey Dabb thinks the 'pipit' bird might be a singing bushlark (see his
grassland birds entry) - he knew to change the subject heading!!

Caroline.