canberrabirds

Pipits, bushlarks and chats

To: <>
Subject: Pipits, bushlarks and chats
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:50:49 +1000

This must be getting quite confusing.  I was having a conversation with Caroline about the identity of the ‘Rufous Songlark’ given that it would seem to be a first record for the season.  Caroline kindly sent me pic x2 below which seemed to me a possible bushlark, given relative dumpiness, short bill and rustyish shoulder patch, and previous presence of the species there. (Was it last year?) Caroline since sent me x1 and x3.  X3 in particular looks a lot more like a pipit, which the bird in question seems to be.  I find that HANZAB devotes considerable space to separating the bushlark from the pipit.  The shoulder colour is important, providing yet another example of the danger of colour-enhancing bird photos.  (Not that I’m suggesting yours were, Caroline  -  some lightings can be just as misleading.)  B1 is a bushlark from the NPI book.  B2 is the HANZAB illustration of the local race of the bushlark.  P1 and p2 are snaps of a pipit from elsewhere.

grasslandsJ.jpg